PRESENT SIMPLE OR CONTINUOUS
1. Complete the passage with the correct form of the verbs in the box. Use the simple present or present continuous tense.
learn (2) / think / enjoy / spend / watch (2) / know
Many parents think that their children (1.) ______________ too much time in front of the TV, but TV can be educational. For example, Sylvia and Eddie (2.) ____________ an interesting TV program on animals now. Another program they (3.)____________is about the latest developments in computer technology. Sylvia now (4.)____________ how to send e-mail and how to use the Internet. Eddie (5.)____________about all the new computer games. Sylvia and Eddie's parents don't worry about TV; they (6.) ____________ their children (7.) ____________ a lot from the programs they (8.) _____________.
2. Complete the conversation with the correct form of the verbs in parentheses. Use the simple present or present continuous tense.
BOB: Hey, Pat. What (1. you/do) ___________________?
PAT: Hi, Bob. I (2. listen)__________________ to the latest CD by The Broken Bones Band.
BOB: Oh yeah? I (3. hear)______________ they have some great songs on there.
PAT: They do. I really (4. like) ___"Crash" and "Forget About It."
BOB: I (5. know, neg.)__________________ those songs, but I love their old ones.
PAT: What (6. you/do) _____________________ after class? (7. you/want) ____________________ to come over to my place and _____________ (8. listen) to their new CD?
BOB: That (8. sound) ____________ great, but I can't. I (9. have) _____________
an appointment. I (10. meet) ________________ an old friend this evening.
PAT: Too bad. Another time, maybe.
3. Complete the text with the present simple or present continuous form of the verbs in brackets.
(travel/ often) to other countries, so I 2_______________ (spend) a
lot of time at airports. Today I 3_______________
Take that couple, for example. They 9_____________ (buy) magazines at the moment. 10____________________ (they/ go) on holiday or 11_______________ (they/ travel) on business? They 12_________________ (wear) business clothes, but he 13________________ (carry) a briefcase. Every few seconds she looks round. 14__________________ (someone/ follow) them? Perhaps they 15_________________ (run) away and ... Just a minute, there 16_________ (be) a story in this newspaper. A bank clerk stole one million pounds last week and disappeared with his wife. There 17______________ (be) a picture of them here. Hmmm, they 18_____________ (look) similar. That's it! The money 19_____________ (be) in the briefcase. I must stop them.
They 19______________ (go) to the departure lounge now. Quick. Oh, just a minute. They 20__________________ (say) goodbye to each other. The woman 21_______________ (not/ go) into the departure lounge. She 22_______________ (walk) away. Oh well, I 23__________ (be) excited. Oh, what 24__________________ (she/ do) now? She 25_______________ (talk) to another man. They 26_____________ (kiss). Now, I wonder ...
4. Complete the text with the present simple or present continuous form of the verbs in brackets.
I 1____________ (work) for a construction company. We 2____________(build) roads, dams, bridges and things like that. At the moment my company 3____________ (produce) a plan for a new motorway. I usually 4______________(work) in the roads department, but this month I 5______________(work) in the department that 6______________ (build) bridges. So my whole working day is different just now. I normally 7_____________(spend) a lot of time outdoors, because I 8_______(go) to the construction sites. But with this new project I 9_____________ (spend) a lot of time in the workshop. At the moment we 10_________________(test) a model of one of the new bridges. I 11___________ (enjoy) it a lot, because I 12____________ (learn) a lot of new things.
5. Use the words in parentheses to complete the sentences .Use the Simple Present or Present Continuous.
1. Alice is in her room right now . She (read) a book . She (like) the book.
2. It (snow) right now . Its beautiful! I (like) this weather.
3. I (know) Jessica Jones. Shes in my class.
4. The teacher (talk) to us right now. I (understand) everything shes saying.
5. Don is at a restaurant right now. He (eat) dinner. He (like) the food. It (taste) good.
6. Look at the little girl! She _________________ (smell) the flowers in the garden one by one.
7. Jason (tell) us a story right now . I (believe) his story. I (think) that his story is true.
8. Ugh! The cigar (smell) terrible.
9. Look at the picture. Jane (sit) in a chair. A cat (sit) on her lap. Jane (hate) cats.
10. Look at the picture. Mr. Allen (hold) a cat. He (love) the cat. The cat (lick) Mr. Allens face.
11. The teacher (shout) in the class right now. It (mean) shes very angry.
12. The movie is really boring ! I (want) to go home.
13. Im going to the shops. you (need) anything?
6. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tense, Present Simple or Present Continuous.
A: Can I help you, sir?
B: Yes, please. I (1)..........................(look) for a birthday present for my wife.
A: I see. What kind of things (2)...................(she/like)?
B: Oh, she (3)...........................(enjoy) reading books on interior decorating and she (4)........................... (love) listening to Latin music.
A: How about this book then? It (5) ......................... (have) over a hundred pages of different ways to decorate your home and lots of pictures, too.
B: I (6) ............................. (not/know) about that. Is there anything else you could show me?
A: Well, sir. I (7)............................(believe) this set of CD s with Latin bands is an excellent choice. Your wife will enjoy it very much.
B: How much is it?
A: It (8)..................(cost) £25. They're on special offer.
B: Okay, then. I just (9)......................(hope) she won't play the music too loud because I (10)...................... (hate) Latin music!!